Ever wondered what all the fuss was about coworking spaces? Surely they’re just the modern day equivalent of a serviced office? Aren’t they noisy and difficult to concentrate in? Um, no. Not only aren’t they difficult to work in, they can change your life and your business.
- You will thrive – yes really! Ross School of Business researchers discovered people who belong to them report levels of thriving that average 6 on a 7 point scale (that’s considerably higher than ‘regular’ employees).
- You meet awesome new people and those people might well change your life by collaborating with you on a project, introducing you to the person you’ve always wanted to meet/work with, inspire you to do something amazing or you might become life long friends.
- You’ll feel like you’re part of a community – but it’s not forced. People generally go about their business, get to know each other over time and maybe catch up over a coffee or have a shared moment of laughter. It’s about knowing that that camaraderie is available when you need it. No more feeling isolated.
- You face fewer distractions. When you work in a coworking space there’s no washing piling up in the corner, no Netflix, no dirty surfaces begging to be cleaned, no dog/cat/kids begging for attention. And whilst there’s always the call of social media when you’re surrounded by people all completely immersed in what they’re doing it, provides a pretty solid boost to just get on with it.
- You will be more productive – when you’re running your own show, it can be tempting to faff about with unimportant stuff (hours on Facebook, YouTube, anyone??). But when you go to a space to work, surrounded by people who are ‘smashing it out’ – it’s inspiring. Most coworking spaces have a quiet, intense focussed work-space and when you’re there, you work!!
- People will ‘get’ you. Whether you run your own small business, you’re building a startup or you’re trying to build something that matters – it’s tough and it can be a lonely road. It can be tempting to think that no-one gets it or you. But when you’re in a coworking space, almost every other person in there is on that same road. They pretty much all get it. So when you’re facing something tough, chances are you can talk it out with someone who’s been through it or is going through it or will go through it.
- You’ll build broader connections These days there are business events galore that you can go to. However, when you work at home or from the café, it can be tempting to become a bit of a shut-in. When you’re out and about there’s more chance that you can ‘stop-in’ at an event on your way home. Plus many coworking spaces have their own events to which many ‘outside’ people will come along. Hint: that’s more potential clients for you to meet.
- Clients will visit you more. When you work in a coworking space, you’ll have access to great meeting room facilities and weirdly, that will make you want to have client meetings at your office. Sometimes, clients want to get out of their offices/homes too and to come to you is a change of pace for them. And sometimes a café or restaurant just doesn’t cut it, especially if you’re discussing confidential information or trying to plan something out.
- You have the ultimate in flexibility – unlike renting an office, working in a co-working space, means you can take up as much or as little space as you need. 3×3 year leases don’t apply and if you need more space for a new staff member, you simply get another desk (and they also get to experience the awesomeness that is coworking – think of all that extra productivity you’ll get from them!!).
- You will have more commitment to your business. The support of your coworking admin team, your fellow co-workers and a well designed work environment means you will bring your best energy and ideas to work each day. And that, in turn, is likely to result in you feeling more invested in your business. That’s when the really great stuff happens.
See what you’re missing out on when you’re working from home or the local café? Come try it for yourself with a day’s free trial. Why not give Klavdia a call and set up a time to come and see how coworking could change your life and your business. You can call us on 1300 318 680 or drop us a note.